Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Anniversary?

On the 20th of May, HID and I had been together for seven happy years.I really mean that, we don't argue, he's my favourite person to spend time with and I still think he's gorgeous. We have always celebrated this date, as well as our wedding anniversary. On our very first "anniversary", HID whisked me away to a seaside cabin, and we sat in the car looking out at a stormy sea, our picnic "rained off" from the beach. Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" came on the radio, and he produced a ruby ring and asked me to marry him. Needless to say I was overjoyed! I was eighteen.

Since then, our lives have hit the motorway, and gathered speed and shifted up gears in the way that can only happen when you have a young family. Luckily, we have a huge family support network, and this time last year, to celebrate six years of love, we were able to procure an overnight babysitter (for a child that woke every 2hrs, no easy task, even for doting grandparents) and spent the night in a castle, and half a day wandering round Chester, city centre and zoo. It was wonderful to be the "us" we were without our baby, and we returned to parenthood refreshed as a couple.

What did we do this year? Well. Two or three days after the event, HID informed me that we had both forgotten. I was ashamed of us! And I felt terrible for neglecting my husband. In reality, we do make time for each other in our busy lives, to talk, to kiss, just to enjoy each other's company. I know not all couples manage this with young children, jobs and homes to care for. But we are really still in love, and I miss him desperately if we are apart for a night, or don't spend a few hours alone together every few days, even just in the evenings. HID and I wouldn't have even noticed the missed anniversary if a friend hadn't asked him: "So how long have you guys been together?".

I dread to think what it will be like this time next year, with a 2 year old and an 8ish month old, will we even forget when we got married?! I'd hate to let our special celebrations fall by the wayside. I want our children to grow up with respect for relationships and love, and the friendship it brings. We haven't even set a make-up date for a belated celebration....I think it's time to break out the babysitter black book this weekend! Even if it's just to go to the local Italian or something. I've missed him.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:19 pm , Blogger san said...

What a lovely post. When you have young children it is so easy to see yourself as just mummies and daddies. but you need to make time to be together as a couple and remember why you got together in the first place. And play 'mummies and daddies' too ;-)
We get a babysitter once a month and go out, usually for a meal. We talk about the children, they're such a big part of our lives, but we also talk about anything and everything else. We laugh, we unwind and we walk back to the car hand in hand, feeling refreshed.

 
At 12:21 pm , Blogger Cave Mother said...

Babysitting a child who wakes up every two hours? Wow, that is dedication. Maybe I could find one like that.. but wait, they would have to have breasts too (and lactating ones at that) :)

I enjoyed your post. Thanks.

 
At 7:27 pm , Anonymous Laura McIntyre said...

I think it gets harder to celebrate for a while as the kids grow , hubby and i are unable to leave the house alone and its been that way for 8 months now (my youngest breastfeeds around the clock still) . You need to remember that the kids will not always be young and in the years to come you will be able to celebrate all your anniversary in real style.

Im new around here and wanted to say hi :)

 
At 9:12 pm , Blogger san said...

Award for you at mine x

 
At 9:57 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how romantic! Don't worry about missing one anniversary, it's obvious how much you love wach other and that's all that matters. I love the time that hubby and I spend together, even if I'm sat on the pc and he's over on the sofa! He's out tonight and I miss him :( Can't wait til my birthday next month as it will be a great excuse to go out together! Award for you at mine xx

 
At 11:00 pm , Blogger The wife of bold said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!! There's an award for you over at mine x x

 
At 7:02 pm , Blogger Kelly said...

I am sure you have a million things to remember! It is a little sad you missed it but at least you both did, which just says life got in the way! You sound like you love each other very much.

Anyway, I just found your blog through Mummy Bloggers so thought I would say hi.

 
At 7:37 pm , Blogger allgrownup said...

Oh my gosh! Thanks for the awards everyone, you do know how to make a girl feel special :-)
Hi to the new readers, thanks for stopping by, hope you come again.
Cave Mother: My parents are amazing, my sisters too. The don't just do it as a favor to me, they adore my Boy. And with a high-need baby, I needed all the help I can get! He's a chilled out toddler though, phew.
We are going to the cinema on wednesday to see angels & demons in belated celebrations. Can't wait.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home