Saturday, March 27, 2010

Not what you think

A message to the nosy old biddy that stared into my window at 11.20am this morning and shook her head in horror, in a "the youth of today" way when she saw me in my pajamas.

This morning I got up at 2am with my symphasis pubic dysfunction pain, leftover from a pregnancy that ended six months ago. I could no longer lie in one position, so here's what I did instead: folded all the children's washable nappies (yes, I use terries, just like you did with your children!) then folded and prepared the newborn sized nappies to be sold at the next NCT sale. Folded all my dry washing, put another load on. Went upstairs to feed my daughter. Left her asleep and crept downstairs for painkillers and to put away the washing up.

At 5.45am, my two babies got up. Then I cooked the whole family a hot breakfast and hung out the load of washing on the line. I tidied the kitchen and changed and dressed my two children. I played with them, then fed my daughter to sleep for her nap and stole forty winks myself while my son went food shopping with hid Daddy. When you saw me, I was changing my 5th nappy of the day, although you couldn't see my baby. The beautiful house you saw is ours, not our parents. We work hard. Don't judge me if you don't know me.

4 Comments:

At 3:57 pm , Blogger Jen Walshaw said...

It can be so hard not to feel judged, but often it is yourself doing the judging rather than others. I always felt really self concious when mine where smaller

 
At 12:09 pm , Blogger allgrownup said...

Thank you for this. Now you have said it out loud, I do often feel this way! Maybe one day I will just get on with it and stop caring what others think, they probably aren't thinking about me at all :-)

 
At 5:32 pm , Blogger JK said...

My holistic mantra for spiritual protection against anyone who appears to be judgemental: fuck em.

 
At 7:16 am , Blogger allgrownup said...

Thanks JK!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home